Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Artist Statement

   Another component of our portfolio was to write an artist statement, this is mine.

Artist Statement

I am a photographer because I love to capture moments and objects in life in my

photography. When I have done my best on an assignment, I feel good about the work I have

completed, and I am proud of my photographs. I strive for excellence, because if I don’t, I feel

like I am cheating myself out of an opportunity to be successful.

Often times while venturing out to take photos for either a class assignment or just for

fun, I find myself photographing everything but people. I like to capture plants, animals,

landscapes, and buildings-almost everything. The only time I enjoy photographing people, is

when I know them. Otherwise, I feel too awkward and have difficulty focusing on capturing the

person. One of my favorite parts about photography is seeing the results of a shoot. I enjoy all

aspects of the photographic process, but I especially enjoy looking back and discovering how my

In my portfolio, I have a wide variety of my work throughout the year. I have

incorporated landscapes, portraits, and inanimate objects. I feel as though my photos have

become stronger through the year as I have learned different techniques, such as rules of thirds

and selective focus. My strongest piece is a black and white photograph of reflections in a

storefront window. I chose to put this photograph into black and white so that there is no

separation of the outside colors and those in the store. I love how there are many way to interpret

the various shapes of the reflection. One of my favorite photos is of my sister on our rope swing.

I used panning to capture the blur of the background, yet keep her profile in focus. I think the

greens and blues in the photograph are compatible.

This year of photography has been a learning experience for me. I came into the class

knowing some, but not a lot about the subject. I now find myself looking at the world through a

lens, I am constantly thinking about what would make a good photograph. I have enjoyed going

into depth and learning how to make my photos stronger. Next year I am enrolled to take

Commercial Photography and hope to further my photographic career.


No comments :

Post a Comment